Geography: Portrait of the Philippines

Google Site – Portrait of the Philippines

In this class, we had to create a project that explained different geographic components of the country of our choice. My partner, Emma, and I chose the Philippines. This website was created throughout the quarter, and each tab represents the unit we were learning about in class.

1. This project was created through google sites. We had a guideline on paper that explained what we should have on each page, and we put all the information on the website from there. We had 5 parts we had to complete on this project, and they all went along with what we were learning in class.
  2. Out of all the everything, I feel that we did the best on the cultural geography component of our project. This was the shortest part of the Portrait of a Nation, and there was a lot of things we could include. The Philippines is full of rich culture, from their clothes, to their holidays, to their food. We were asked to include a video that explained their cultural traits, and I learned lots of things from that.
  3. In my opinion, the hardest part of this project was economic geography. We had to take all the statistics we found and explain how the Philippines’ economy is doing well or not so well. Most of the data we found was very contradicting. For example, our country has good education rates, but it doesn’t have the best nation-wide access to internet. These factors made it hard for us to determine how well their economy was doing.
  4. Out of all the 6C’s I think I used collaboration the most. My partner and I had to evenly divide all of the information. In the beginning, this was hard to do, but later on we had a good system going. Emma found the maps and diagrams, and I did the summaries.
  5. Through this project, I learned lots of things about other cultures and conflicts happening in other countries. As US citizens, we tend to mainly focus on events happening in our state. Creating our website caused me to step out of the bubble we live in and get  a look into other people’s lives.