US History 9A – Westward Expansion

For this assignment, we were asked to create a map representing America’s expansion westward. We also each wrote annotations explaining each portion of land gained by America and its’ conflict

MAP:

ANNOTATIONS:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I31mxQLpLct_3mVumMy3bP0aLImZlD-qxh972P68F_I/edit?usp=sharing

REFLECTION:

(1) In order to successfully create my map and annotations, I went through a process. I first started with coloring each section of the map and labeling it in the key as I went. After I had each land section and all of the Rivers needed, I began my annotations. I used the sources given to us to create a description of each portion of land. I then described the conflict that was later

(2) The part I found the most success in while creating my map and annotations was mainly the creation of the map. I love art, so I enjoyed coloring, outlining, and creating the key for the map. I tried to make it as neat as possible. It was fairly hard to create the annotations, so I think my map was more a bit more successful.

(3) The most difficult part of creating these artifacts for me was the annotations. It was harder for me to find all of the information for each purchase of land. I had to often try to piece things together to think of the conflict it potentially created. This was the most difficult for me, although I believe I learned the most from it.

(4) These artifacts connect to two C’s. The first C is Critical Thinking. I think that my artifacts, particularly the annotations, connect to Critical Thinking because I had to think very hard to create my annotations. Not only did I have to research, but I also had to think about the conflicts that came with each land purchase. I also had to think about things like my grammar and spelling. I also think that my map connects to creativity. Although all of our class made the same map, you got to be creative in what colors you chose and where you used them. Also, we each could create our key differently as long as we had one.

5) This map is still relevant today because the landscape of America has undergone small changes. The rivers and mountain ranges are still the same. Furthermore, these sections of land are closely accurate to the regions of our country today, such as the Southwest and Midwest regions. Lastly, these land purchases allowed our country’s borders to expand into America today.